Thursday, March 23, 2017

#642 - Dave Owen


What a card: This is Dave Owen's only Topps card. He has just one other card in a major set, and that was also in 1985, in the Donruss set.

My observation on the front: Owen looks super-lanky for a shortstop. The back lists him as 6-2, 170. That's lanky.

More opinion from me: I still knew just about every major leaguer in the game by 1985, but I have to admit, Dave Owen was never on my radar.

Something you might know: Owen is the older brother of the much more famous Owen, Spike.

Something you might not know: Owen's firing as the Royals third base coach in 2010 opened the door for Rusty Kuntz, who has been a base coach with Kansas City since 2011.


My observation on the back: Cobb certainly knew how to play, but I don't know if you want to pin "hero" on a guy who was known for being violent, vicious and racist. Interesting choice by Owen.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

2 comments:

Rob said...

Wow! Never realized he and Spike were related.

Commishbob said...

From the Mark Belanger School of Tall, Lanky Shortstops....who can't hit much.