Wednesday, February 24, 2016

#505 - Jim Beattie


What a card: Jim Beattie had just completed what would be his last full season in the majors when this card was issued. He'd endure injury-plagued seasons for the Mariners in 1985 and 1986 before calling it quits.

My observation on the front: There are stripes everywhere on that uniform.

More opinion from me: I've never forgiven Beattie for winning Game 5 of the 1978 World Series. Prior to that game I thought the Dodgers had a 3-2 lead in the Series made. Then Burt Hooton imploded. ... OK, so I've really never forgiven Hooton.

Something you might know: Beattie was a top-line Yankees prospect who went to Seattle in the deal for Ruppert Jones. Beattie later became known as a general manager, both with the Expos and the Orioles. And he was the guy who traded Pedro Martinez to the Red Sox.

Something you might not know: Beattie's wife, Martha, was a talented rower for Dartmouth, where both attended school. When Beattie was pitching for the Yankees, Martha taught a rowing team at a school in Massachusetts.


My observation on the back: When I was a kid I would puzzle over people "playing squash." How could they play a game with a vegetable?

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

No comments: