Monday, February 8, 2016

#499 - Danny Cox


What a card: This is Danny Cox's first Topps card. It was quite sought-after at the time as Cox enjoyed a breakout year in 1985 with 18 wins and two starts in the World Series.

My observation on the front: Cox doesn't look right without his mustache.

More opinion from me: Cox was one of several Cardinals of the mid-1980s that kicked off a dislike for the team that continues to this day. Prior to '85, I enjoyed the Cardinals.

Something you might know: Cox formed a devastating rotation for the Cardinals with John Tudor and Joaquin Andujar in 1985. Later he pitched the NLCS-clinching win against the Giants in 1987.

Something you might not know: Cox is one of less than 40 major league ballplayers born in England.


My observation on the back: Thanks to collecting cards in 1976, I've known the answer to that trivia quiz since I was 10.

The blog wants to speak now: The Pop Culture tab is updated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, too, dislike the Cardinals. Can't stand 'em. Though my contempt didn't materialize until about 2009 or so. When Brandon Phillips' infamous anti-Cardinal comments came out, I was like "AMEN".
Then the brawl happened and Jason LaRue got his head kicked in. I felt bad. For about three days.