Monday, July 25, 2016

#557 - Len Barker


What a card: Len Barker was coming off his first full season with Atlanta when this card was issued. But he missed the last two months with an elbow injury.

My observation on the front: Barker's wind-up featured a big leg kick, which led to a strong downward arm motion from the 6-foot-5 pitcher. It created some fairly cool baseball card photos. His 1981 Topps card has always been a favorite.

More opinion from me: I still remember reading about Barker's perfect game the morning after as I loaded up papers for my carrier route.

Something you might know: Barker pitched the first perfect game in 13 years when he no-hit the Blue Jays on May 15, 1981. He led the American League in strikeouts in back-to-back years in 1980 and 1981.

Something you might not know: Barker has been the head coach for the Notre Dame College baseball team in South Euclid, Ohio for the last five years. Several former Indians have helped out as coaches during Barker's tenure, including Ron Pruitt, Joe Charboneau and Travis Hafner.


My observation on the back: Barker ended up with six children. Maybe it was all that wild game.

The blog wants to speak know: The Ballgames category is updated.

2 comments:

Matt Runyon said...

I remember many days of reading the sports section before delivering the paper

Expos 1983 Blog said...

me too!