Thursday, July 21, 2016

#556 - Sixto Lezcano


What a card: Sixto Lezcano was coming off his first full season with the Phillies when this card was issued. He had also signed with the Pirates as a free agent by the time the card had arrived in packs.

My observation on the front: As a big Sixto fan when he was with the Brewers, he looks odd to me in any other uniform.

More opinion from me: I don't think I'd be half the '70s baseball fan I am now if I hadn't pulled a card of Sixto Lezcano from a pack of 1977 Topps.

Something you might know: Lezcano was part of the on-the-rise Brewers teams of the late 1970s. His best season was in 1979 when he hit 28 home runs, batted .321 and won a Gold Glove.

Something you might not know: Lezcano is the only player to hit a grand slam on opening day twice. He did it two years apart, once against the Orioles on April 7, 1978 and once against the Red Sox on April 10, 1980.


My observation on the back: Carlos Lezcano appeared on his own card in the 1981 Donruss and Fleer sets. At this point, he was on his way out of pro baseball. In fact, he wasn't in the Cubs system when this bio was written. He spent 1984 in the A's and Tigers minor league systems.

The blog wants to speak now: The TV category is updated.

3 comments:

Tony L. said...

Sixto Lezcano's batting stance/prep was one of the first batting stances that I copied as a kid -- those prep swings where it looks like he's chopping some wood in front of him.

Matt Runyon said...

Huge drop off between 1979 and 1980. Was he hurt?

night owl said...

He wasn't hurt. Accounts I've read said he just had a bad year and it was called "mystifying."