Thursday, May 1, 2014

#288 - Jeff Kunkel


What a card: This is Jeff Kunkel's second card in the '85 Topps set. He appeared earlier in the Father-Son subset. Not bad for a rookie.

My observation on the front: I'll bet this photo is from the same session as the one that appeared on the Father-Son card.

More opinion from me: I said on that Father-Son post that Kunkel looked like he was 12. I was wrong. He looks 11.

Something you might know: Kunkel was the No. 3 overall pick in the 1983 major league draft.

Something you might not know: Kunkel pitched twice for the Rangers in mop-up roles, once in 1988 and once in 1989. He fared better in the first outing, allowing no runs and no hits and striking out a batter. In the 1989 appearance, he gave up four runs, including a home run, in 1 2/3 innings.


My observation on the back: As mentioned on the Father-Son post, Kunkel's father died during the 1985 season. The umpire trivia question is a nice touch, although I'm guessing it's a coincidence.

The blog wants to speak now: The Ballgames tab is updated.

No comments: