Friday, January 18, 2013

#136 - Father/Son: Bill & Jeff Kunkel


What a card: Outside of a card we'll see a little bit later, this is the most obscure father-son duo in the subset. Bill lasted three season and Jeff played parts of eight years.

My observation on the front: Jeff Kunkel looks like he's 12 years old. And I remember when he played. Everyone said, "what's that 12-year-old doing out there?"

More opinion from me: Jeff was like David Eckstein. You just couldn't take him seriously as a major leaguer. No matter what he did. That's more a reflection on me, of course.

Something you might know: Bill Kunkel is known more for being a major league umpire. He umped in the big leagues between 1968-84. He was diagnosed with cancer in the early '80s. and in fact died the same year that this card was issued, in May, at age 48.

Something you might not know: I can draw a path from Jeff Kunkel to Lance Armstrong in five degrees or less. Jeff Kunkel is currently active in Pathways Core Training Inc., a non-profit self-help organization that grew from Dr. Phil McGraw's training seminars. Dr. Phil became famous on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Oprah just interviewed Lance Armstrong on his PED ways. And there you go.


My observation on the back: "Bill is a current AL umpire since 1968." Wrong. He retired in 1984.

The blog wants to speak now: Just a quick update of the Music tab, as I need my sleep. But there's a new No. 1 on the charts, so check it out.

1 comment:

jacobmrley said...

I have no idea if you watch the office or know about lame dumbass memes, but your observation about the back made me think of this:

http://memegenerator.net/instance/33673449