Monday, January 21, 2013

#137 - Father/Son: Vern & Vance Law


What a card: This is the second straight card in the subset where the father was a pitcher. There are two more "dad pitchers" later on in the set.

My observation on the front: Oh, boy, do I love 1967 Topps.

More opinion from me: Those huge glasses on Vance Law seemed so crazy to me. I know they were commonplace back then, but card-after-card he's wearing them, and I just took pity on him for it. Why I was pitying a major leaguer, I have no idea.

Something you might know: Vern Law won the 1960 N.L. Cy Young Award for the World Series champion Pirates.

Something you might not know: Vance Law was let go last spring after 12 seasons as Brigham Young University's baseball coach.


My observation on the back: I'm just noticing that Topps included vital statistics for the father, but not for the son, probably because the son has his own card in the set that features his vital stats.

The blog wants to speak now: A quick update of the Ballgames category.

1 comment:

MoltenLava said...

I thought you were going to suggest that Topps didn't include vital statistics for the son because he, you know, wasn't that good.