Monday, January 7, 2013

#131 - Father/Son: Gus & Buddy Bell


What a card: This is the first card of the second subset in the 1985 Topps set. It is a revival of the "Fathers & Sons" five-card subset in the 1976 Topps set. But this subset is an unwieldy 13 cards, kind of large for a subset.

My observation on the front: Buddy looks much happier than his dad. Not that his dad is scowling -- at least I don't think he is.

More opinion from me: The best part of these Father-Son cards is the picture of the father's Topps card. I didn't pay attention to that when these cards first came out, but I really like seeing those old cards now.

Something you might know: Gus Bell's card is from the 1961 Topps set.

Something you might not know: Gus Bell used to watch from his car as Buddy Bell played Little League games. Gus would honk once for good plays and twice for great plays.


My observation on the back: The backs feature a "family crest" style design. But it's a lot less homey than the backs of the 1976 Topps Father & Son subset, which I wrote about here.

The blog wants to speak now: The Ballgames, Pop Culture and News categories are updated. Check out who the top picks were in the 1985 MLB amateur draft.

1 comment:

Brandon said...

I don't think I've seen Buddy Bell smile since before he managed the Tigers through some dark years.