Tuesday, May 13, 2014

#291 - Bob Welch


What a card: Bob Welch was coming off a somewhat mediocre season when this card arrived in packs in 1985. After a 1983 season in which he finished 8th in the Cy Young Award voting, Welch dropped off a bit in '84.

My observation on the front: Welch was huge favorite of mine when he pitched for L.A., and I especially liked it when he was featured in action shots. Topps did me a favor by using nothing but action shots for Welch between 1982-86.

More opinion from me: Welch's book about his battle with alcoholism, "5 O'Clock Comes Early," is part of the trifecta of baseball tell-all books that I read as a teenager in the early '80s. In a short span of time, I read Welch's book, "The Bronx Zoo" and "Ball Four". My view of ballplayers was forever changed.

Something you might know: Welch rocketed to fame when he struck out Reggie Jackson to end Game 2 of the 1978 World Series. Welch was just 21 when he retired Jackson with two men on and two outs in the ninth inning.

Something you might not know: Welch was the beneficiary of what Seamheads.com calls the Most Egregious Cy Young Award Snub Of All-Time. The writer believes Roger Clemens should have beaten out Welch for the award in 1990.


My observation on the back: Every time I hear a mention of Welch playing for Eastern Michigan University, I think of the great Roger Angell's account of Welch and Bob Owchinko pitching respective ends of an Eastern Michigan doubleheader while Angell talked with scout Ray Scarborough. Fantastic article.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

1 comment:

MoltenLava said...

RIP. His performance in the '78 Series was classic. Also pitching coach on 2001 D-Backs world champions.