Thursday, April 26, 2018

#782 - Tom Niedenfuer


What a card: Tom Niedenfuer was coming off an injury-plagued 1984 season when this card was issued. After appearing in more than 50 games each of the previous two years, he managed just 33 in '84, but still led the Dodgers in saves with 11.

My observation on the front: I hope that's not a fastball away that Niedenfuer is throwing.

More opinion from me: I probably have been more angry about the outcome of a Dodger game than on Oct. 16, 1985, but I can't think of another instance right now. And most of the anger was directed at Niedenfuer, Tom Lasorda and Jack Clark.

Something you might know: Niedenfuer pitched well in the 1981 World Series against the Yankees, two months after making his big league debut, but became famous for giving up back-to-back decisive home runs to the Cardinals' Ozzie Smith and Clark in Games 5 and 6 of the 1985 NLCS.

Something you might not know: Lasorda nicknamed Niedenfuer "Buffalo" because of his large head.


My observation on the back: Niedenfuer was married to Lisa Anne until 1986, then married actress Judy Landers, known for her buxom blonde roles in many '80s TV shows and movies.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

2 comments:

Johngy said...

I have a highly-sought, very rare dual-signed baseball featuring Tom and Judy!

Rob said...

My dad is a die-hard Dodger fan and Niedenfuer is his least favorite Dodger ever.