Friday, April 13, 2018

#778 - Mike Davis


What a card: Mike Davis fell off quite a bit from his breakout 1983 season. He batted just .230 with nine homers in 134 games. He'd rebound big-time in 1985, slugging 24 HRs.

My observation on the front: A bat-selection photo will never fail.

More opinion from me: Davis will always be a favorite of mine for one little plate appearance.

Something you might know: Davis is probably most-known for the walk he took with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning with the Dodgers trailing the A's 4-3 in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series. The next batter, Kirk Gibson, launched a two-run home run that won the game and became legend.

Something you might not know: The Dodgers beat out the Yankees in a race to sign free-agent Davis in December of 1987. The Dodgers offered slightly more money, but nearly didn't get the offer to Davis in Florida. They needed to fax it but the fax machine was locked in the library at Dodger Stadium. GM Fred Claire couldn't find the key so they had to call a locksmith. Davis and his agent were convinced by the effort to sign with L.A.


My observation on the back: Joe Blanton is now the most recent pitcher to hit a home run in the World Series (Joe Blanton!). He hit it for the Phillies against the Rays in 2008.

The blog wants to speak now: I've mentioned this before, but people keep asking it, so I'll write it again: Yes, I am blogging the Traded set after I finish the main set. My plan is to continue the same format for any players who were not featured in the main set. I'm not sure what I'll do with repeated players, but it won't be as involved as when I blogged about them in the first time.

No comments: