Tuesday, April 17, 2018

#779 - Nick Esasky


What a card: Nick Esasky endured a miserable 1984 season after winning the third base job in 1983 and sparking a minor run on his 1984 rookie card.

My observation on the front: Esasky looks like a baseball player.

More opinion from me: I remember thinking that Esasky's name was odd and it would take me a while to learn how to pronounce it.

Something you might know: Esasky hit 30 home runs for the Red Sox in 1989. A year later, he was sidelined by vertigo, missing virtually the whole season with the Braves and never played again.

Something you might not know: Esasky took custody of his daughter's 1-year-old child 12 years ago because his daughter was hooked on methamphetamine and refused treatment. The custody action eventually forced his daughter into rehab. It appears -- although I'm not 100 percent sure -- that his daughter is fully recovered, graduated from the University of Akron in 2011 and has been working in New York City. (Esasky's daughter is not named in this story, but the nonprofit he announced in the article was called "K.I.M." (Kids In Meth) and one of his two daughters is named Kimberly. The other is Jennifer).


My observation on the back: Sammy Sosa now holds the NL record with his 20 home runs in June 1998.

The blog wants to speak now: The Music category is updated.

No comments: