Thursday, April 19, 2018

#780 - Mike Flanagan


What a card: Mike Flanagan rallied from a knee injury that hampered his 1983 season to start 34 games for the Orioles in 1984.

My observation on the front: Mercy, that's another miscut card straight out of the box. When I think about how well-center today's cards are, I realize how old I am. Collectors still wail about miscut cards today, but they have no idea. We were pulling one, two, three per pack when I was a kid.

More opinion from me: Flanagan may be remembered as a broadcaster, an Orioles front-office guy or a Blue Jay. But he's nothing but an Orioles pitcher to me.

Something you might know: Flanagan won the Cy Young Award in 1979 after winning 23 games for the AL champion Orioles.

Something you might not know: Flanagan played on the freshman basketball team for the University of Massachusetts Amherst. During a scrimmage against the varsity team, Flanagan pulled up for a jump shot off a fast break and -- out of nowhere -- was blocked by Julius Erving. Dr. J. was a forward for the Minutemen.


My observation on the back: Manchester is a large city, of more than 100,000 people, so no biggie that Mike and his wife didn't know each other while growing up. The baseball field behind the Manchester high school that Flanagan attended was renamed Mike Flanagan Field in Flanagan's honor in 2014. Flanagan, who suffered from depression for years, committed suicide in 2011.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

No comments: