Monday, May 1, 2017

#654 - Dave Anderson


What a card: Dave Anderson was coming off his first full major league season when this card was issued. In 1984, he was the first Dodger besides Bill Russell to get the majority of starts at shortstop in a decade.

My observation on the front: You can see Anderson displaying the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games patch on his jersey sleeve.

More opinion from me: I remember when Anderson played in his first games with the Dodgers. He was not on my radar as one of the leading prospects for L.A., so I wondered who this guy was with the wonderfully pedestrian name. (He probably should have been on my radar as the Dodgers made him their No. 1 draft pick in 1981).

Something you might know: Anderson might be best known for standing in the on-deck circle before Kirk Gibson came on to pinch-hit in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series. Anderson was there to hit for the pitcher as Mike Davis batted. But when Davis walked, Gibson came to the plate instead of Anderson and the rest is history.

Something you might not know: Anderson and pitcher Fernando Valenzuela were both injured late in the 1988 season, but were each eligible to be activated for the World Series when the Dodgers got there. Anderson was activated instead of Valenzuela. Pitching coach Ron Perranoski believed Valenzuela's sore shoulder wasn't ready although Valenzuela disagreed.


My observation on the back: A couple of things:

1. That is not a gum stain. My '85 set was purchased complete in a vending box, so I don't know what that is.

2. The Los Angeles Times spelled Anderson's wife's first name as "Jina". I believe the L.A. Times over Topps.

3. The multiple choice answers for the trivia quiz has a "one of these things is not like the other" feel. Gee, do you think it's Don Hahn?

The blog wants to speak now: The Other Cards tab is updated.

1 comment:

Rob said...

I've always thought this is a good looking card.