Tuesday, September 27, 2016

#580 - Dwight Evans


What a card: Dwight Evans was coming off a career year in a number of categories when this card was issued. He played in all 162 games in 1984, led the league in at-bats (738) and runs (121), matched a then-career-high in homers (32) and set a then-career mark in RBIs (104). He also led the league in OPS (.920), not that anyone knew what that was then.

My observation on the front: It appears that Evans is using a black bat, which is always cool.

More opinion from me: I often separate Evans into two eras, his pre-mustache career and his mustache career. The mustache first appeared in 1981 (and in his 1982 cards). Not-so-surprisingly (to me), Evans became one of the more complete offensive players in baseball at the same time. He kept the mustache and remained an offensive force.

Something you might know: Evans was always known as a terrific right fielder and during the 1970s it overshadowed his offensive ability. He won eight Gold Gloves and made a famous catch on a long fly ball by Joe Morgan in extra innings of Game 6 of the 1975 World Series.

Something you might not know: Evans briefly experienced vertigo during his career, saying that during that time he'd look up to catch a fly ball and see three or four balls. "I was just hoping to catch the right one," he said. "It was the worst feeling I've ever known."

 
My observation on the back: The bio reads like the 1971 Topps backs. I have no interest in a player's youth achievements.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

1 comment:

Rob said...

I always wondered why it took him so long to reach that next level on offense - the delay cost him Cooperstown I think.

I'll never forget the time a close family friend of ours casually mentioned she went to high school with Dwight Evans. As a baseball card junkie kid, I nearly fell out of my chair. I couldn't imagine anything cooler than that.