Friday, August 28, 2015

#446 - Jim Sundberg


What a card: This is Jim Sundberg's only Topps base card as a Milwaukee Brewer (he appears in the '84 Topps Traded set as a Brewer, too). He was dealt to the Royals in January 1985.

My observation on the front: I enjoy that Sundberg is clutching his catcher's mask with his elbow.

More opinion from me: I remember when I first saw this card. I was shocked that Sundberg was anything but a Texas Ranger. He had spent the first 10 years of his career with the Rangers.

Something you might know: Sundberg built his reputation on defense, winning six straight Gold Gloves at catcher.

Something you might not know: Sundberg still holds the American League record for most games caught in a season. He crouched for 155 games in his second season in 1975 (and batted .199!).


My observation on the back: Scuba diving and Egyptian Arabian horses? He's a Renaissance Man in the 1980s.

The blog wants to speak now: The Pop Culture tab is updated.

1 comment:

Brian said...

He looks like a manager in this photo. The catcher's mask just feeds into the managerial look.