Tuesday, August 18, 2015

#443 - George Wright


What a card: This is the third of the four Topps flagship cards that George Wright would have in his career. Wright was coming off a disappointing 1984 after having a career year for the Rangers in 1983.

My observation on the front: Wright's helmet is down so low I don't know how he hit that ball.

More opinion from me: I loved George Wright's cards. He always seemed to be whaling on a pitch, and I wanted him to be a superstar.

Something you might know: Wright played in all 162 games for the Rangers in 1983, supplying 175 hits and 18 home runs for a surprising Texas club.

Something you might not know: The Angels' Mike Witt pitched a perfect game against the Rangers on the last day of the 1984 season. Wright, in the midst of a slump, went 0-for-3 in the game. When asked what he'd do in the offseason, Wright said, "I'm going to change my name and move to Africa."


My observation on the back: The Braves were the "Bees" only from 1936-40. The team president wanted a new name to signify a new start as the Braves were lousy in the '20s and '30s. But the Bees became the Braves again in 1941.

The blog wants to speak now: The Pop Culture tab is updated.

No comments: