Thursday, August 6, 2015

#439 - Junior Ortiz


What a card: Junior Ortiz was already off to another team when this card was issued. He was picked by the Pirates (his former team) in the Rule 5 draft in December, 1984.

My observation on the front: It appears that Ortiz has hit a high pitch to the opposite field.

More opinion from me: Ortiz played during the heyday of ballplayers named Junior. During the '70s and the '80s, besides Ortiz, there was Junior Kennedy, Junior Felix, Junior Noboa and Junior Moore.

Something you might know: Ortiz was a backup catcher for the Mets, Pirates, Indians, Twins and Rangers, playing behind such notable backstops as Tony Pena, Sandy Alomar Jr., Brian Harper and Ivan Rodriguez.

Something you might not know: Twins teammates once gave Ortiz a T-shirt that said, "I can't hit, I can't throw, I can't run, what am I doing here?"


My observation on the back: Wow, that's a lot of All-Star Game losses. Brooks Robinson still apparently holds that record.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

No comments: