Friday, October 31, 2014

#345 - Charlie Lea


What a card: Charlie Lea enjoyed in 1984 what would be his final full season in the majors for awhile. After winning 15 games for the Expos, Lea encountered arm problems and missed all of 1985 and 1986.

My observation on the front: This is the first time Lea is featured on his cards with a mustache. It looks very odd to me. I remember the clean-shaven Lea.

More opinion from me: Sadly, Lea is now one of those guys who forces me to confront my own mortality.

Something you might know: Lea became the first French-born player to throw a no-hitter when he spun a no-no against the Giants in May of 1981.

Something you might not know: The home plate ump for Lea's no-hitter, Paul Runge, is part of the only father-son umpire tandem to ump no-hit games from behind the plate. Runge's father, Ed, was the home ump for Dave Morehead's no-hitter for the Red Sox in 1965.


My observation on the back: Well, that's a hell of a thing to hang on the Iron Horse.

The blog wants to speak now: The computer is acting flippy, so I'll sit this one out.

2 comments:

MJ said...

Typo watch: Morehead threw his no-hitter in 1965, not 1985.

night owl said...

Thanks. Fixed. Maybe I shouldn't write these after work.