Monday, April 23, 2012

#40 - Phil Niekro


What a card: This was Phil Niekro's first Topps flagship card in anything other than a Braves uniform. He appears in a Yankees uniform in the 1984 Topps Traded set.

My observation on the front: Obviously, Niekro just got done throwing a knuckler.

More opinion from me: I always hated seeing Niekro in a Yankee uniform. I liked Phil Niekro. Players I liked don't belong on the Yankees.

Something you might know: Niekro won the 300th game of his career with the Yankees, on the last day of the regular season, Oct. 6, 1985. He pitched a 9-inning shutout against the Blue Jays.

Something you might not know: As you may or may not know, I run another set blog, detailing the 1971 Topps set. Niekro is the first player to appear on both blogs.


My observation on the back: I don't think I've seen an abbreviation for Ohio as simply "O." before.

Yeah, I know, a sea of stats, and I focus on a state abbreviation.

The blog wants to speak now: The Ballgames, Music, TV, Pop Culture and News categories have been updated to include, among other things, a certain famous act by coach Bobby Knight.

3 comments:

jacobmrley said...

I will grab something out of that sea of stats: That wonderful 21-20 1979 season. You will never ever ever ever ever see that again.

1967ers said...

That 300th win was the first big league game I ever went to. They commemorate it in the '86 set because it was a record breaker - oldest pitcher to throw a shutout.

MCT said...

I thought that you had commented once before about Topps abbreviating Ohio as "O.", but a quick perusal of both the '71 and '85 blogs turned up nothing. I did find one other card in the '85 set with the "O." abbreviation -- #22 Duane Kuiper -- but the use of this abbreviation is not mentioned in your post.