Tuesday, April 3, 2012

#34 - Ed Nunez


What a card: This is Ed Nunez's rookie card. His major league career began in 1982 but didn't really get going until 1984. By 1985, he was appearing in 70 games for the Mariners.

My observation on the front: Even though baseball players are shrunken down so they can fit on a 2 1/2-by-3 1/2 piece of cardboard, you still can tell when certain players are tall. That's a tall man firing toward the plate. And, indeed, Nunez is 6-foot-5.

More opinion from me: Is there anyone else at all in the ballpark with Nunez?

Something you might know: Nunez was the youngest player in the American League in 1982 and 1983. He was 19 when he appeared in six games for Seattle in 1982.

Something you might not know: Nunez accused the Mariners of discrimination in 1986 when they would not put him on the disabled list. "They are treating me like this because it is Edwin Nunez, from Puerto Rico, and the color of my skin is a little dark," he said. "If it was a white person, they would just put him on the disabled list. Edwin Nunez? No, he has to go through every test in the book."


My observation on the back: You'll notice that the back of this card is a much brighter shade of green than the other cards that I've shown. That's just a printing quirk, but I'm sure someone in 1985 got all excited that it might be some kind of error.

Also, the trivia question doesn't have quite as exclusive an answer anymore. Vida Blue has been joined by Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson and Roy Halladay as pitchers who have started the All-Star Game for both leagues.

The blog wants to speak now: I've updated several of the tabs (including perhaps the raciest lyrics ever penned, in the music category). Also I've begun to adjust the tabs so the most recent information is listed first. Now you don't have to scroll down to the bottom to get to the latest info. I hope to finish off that change for all of the tabs in the next couple days.

1 comment:

MJ said...

It's sad that I knew which racy song you were referring to.

(This was my 5th attempt to prove I'm not a robot. I'm beginning to doubt my humanity. Or my vision. Or my typing skills.)