Friday, May 25, 2018

#792 - Darrell Evans


What a card: Darrell Evans struggled during his first season in the American League in 1984 after 16 seasons in the National League. He'd more than make up for it in 1985 though.

My observation on the front: That's a rare appearance by a pencil on a card. I didn't know that was there until I scanned the card.

More opinion from me: This is the last card in the set, but don't fret. We're not done yet!

Something you might know: Evans hit 40 home runs in 1985 at age 38, becoming the oldest player to lead the AL in home runs.

Something you might not know: One of Evans' nicknames was "UFO" because he claimed to spot an unidentified flying object while with his wife in 1982.


My observation on the back: This is the fourth year of a 792-card set for Topps. I remember the first year Topps went to 726 cards in 1978. It seemed out of hand then. I can't remember my reaction to the first 792-card set in 1982.

The blog want to speak now: Now that the main set is done, we're moving on to the Traded set. I'm not going to do as much research for the Traded set. If the player is new to the set -- meaning he didn't appear in the flagship set -- then I will write it up as I did all the cards in the flagship set. But if the player did appear in the flagship set, too, the post will be something sweet and simple, with a comparison of the two cards, because Traded cards really blew my mind back in the early '80s.

4 comments:

Rob said...

Just wanted to thank you for completing the set - 1985 is my all-time favorite and your dutiful entries were amazing. On to the traded cards!

Expos 1983 Blog said...

Well done! Might I humbly suggest a 1981 Topps blog? Love that series

Andy Diver said...

Well done sir. I truly enjoyed it.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

congrats on completing 3. looking forward to the traded set.