Tuesday, May 8, 2018

#786 - Enos Cabell


What a card: Enos Cabell batted over .300 for the second straight year in 1984. They were the only .300 seasons of his 15-year major league career.

My observation on the front: Cabell is sporting a large bandage on his right forearm.

More opinion from me: I vividly remember my baseball world being turned upside down by reading Bill James' Baseball Abstract publications in the early 1980s. I was shocked when James said that Cabell could not play baseball (it was contained in a rant about Sparky Anderson, which turned into a slam on Cabell). Man, I wish I still had those Abstracts.

Something you might know: Cabell was the starting third baseman for the 1980 Astros, the first Houston Astros team to make the postseason.

Something you might not know: James said that he met Cabell at a party not too long after he wrote those words about the player. James said Cabell was aware of what James wrote but was so cordial about it that James said he never wrote another negative word about him.


My observation on the back: The 1984 season was Cabell's last as a full-time player. He'd be caught up in the Pittsburgh drug scandal in 1985 and didn't play in the majors after 1986.

The blog wants to speak now: The News tab is updated.

No comments: