Monday, May 21, 2018

#790 - Ron Guidry


What a card: Ron Guidry endured a down year in 1984, winning just 10 games and posting a 4.51 ERA after a 21-win season in 1983. He'd bounce back mightily in 1985 winning 22 games.

My observation on the front: Guidry looks much taller on this card than the 5-foot-11 that is his measurement on the back.

More opinion from me: I associate Guidry so much with the 1970s and his monster season in 1978 that I'm always surprised when I'm reminded that he pitched into the late '80s. My brain always thinks he was long gone by then.

Something you might know: Louisiana Lightning went 25-3 in 1978 with an ERA under 2 and everyone wanted his 1977 and 1978 Topps cards.

Something you might not know: Guidry played center field for the Yankees twice, once in the 9th inning of a late September game against the Blue Jays in 1979 and once for the final out of the resumption of the "pine-tar game" against the Royals in 1983. Yankees manager Billy Martin sent Guidry to center and Don Mattingly to second base to protest the decision to let George Brett's home run stand. Guidry has said that he always felt he could be a better center fielder than pitcher.


My observation on the back: I've heard about Guidry being a Yankee fan while growing up in Louisiana since I was a kid. I thought it was a fairy tale dreamed up by George Steinbrenner to talk up Guidry as a "true Yankee". I still don't know if I believe it.

The blog wants to speak now: The Pop Culture tab is updated.

1 comment:

Rob said...

The last 0/5 ending number in the set - man, can't believe you're almost done!