Monday, May 14, 2018

#788 - Steve Comer


What a card: Steve Comer had completed his major league career when this card was issued. The Indians released him in October of 1984. He spent the 1985 season with the Phillies organization in Triple A.

My observation on the front: The perfect example when I say that the 1985 set reverted back to the 1970s with some of its photo choices. Something like this would never fly in 1983 or 1984 Topps.

More opinion from me: Many of Comer's cards look the same. I like his 1983 Topps card because he's not standing like a statue.

Something you might know: Comer won a team-high 17 games for the Rangers in 1979, his second year in the majors. He threw more innings for Texas than anyone that year besides Fergie Jenkins.

Something you might not know: Comer is still the University of Minnesota's all-time leader in victories and complete games.


My observation on the back: Every time I see mention of Three Rivers Stadium I can hear former Pirates slugger and longtime Mets broadcaster Ralph Kiner saying virtually every time the Mets played in Pittsburgh that the stadium was located "near the confluence of the Ohio, Allegeny and Monongahela rivers." I'm sure most of those times he mentioned it, I had no idea what "confluence" meant.

The blog wants to speak now: The Other Cards category is updated.

1 comment:

Rob said...

There's something very soothing about this card. I feel relaxed after looking at it.