Wednesday, March 21, 2018

#769 - Joe Cowley


What a card: Joe Cowley returns to Topps cards after taking the 1984 set off. He was entering the peak of his career at this point after going 9-2 in his first season with the Yankees.

My observation on the front: It's a sunny image of a player who would fall apart in three short years.

More opinion from me: I heard how great Cowley was going to be from the usual Yankee fans near me during this period. Little did they know that the Yankees were entering a long dry spell.

Something you might know: Cowley threw one of the most surprising no-hitters in history while playing for the White Sox. On Sept. 19, 1986, he no-hit the Angels while walking seven. He walked the bases loaded in the sixth inning.

Something you might not know: Yankees teammate John Montefusco pulled a spring training prank on Cowley in which Montefusco got a couple of Fort Lauderdale policemen to march into the locker room, read a warrant in front of the whole team and then lead Cowley away in handcuffs.


My observation on the back: Had I known that Cowley had toiled in the minors for 10 years, I wouldn't have believed for a second those Yankee fans touting Cowley's greatness.

The blog wants to speak now: The Ballgames category is updated.

2 comments:

steelehere said...

I remember Joe Cowley suffered the same issues as Steve Blass in which he had trouble throwing the ball for strikes at the end of his time with the White Sox and then the Phillies.

jacobmrley said...

As a Mets fan, the fact that a pitcher of the craptastic nature of Joe Cowley had a no hitter and no Amazin' pitcher did for 50 years always made me furious. Johan Santana soothed that fury but still, Joe Cowley has a no freakin' hitter? Baseball is annoying sometimes.