Monday, March 19, 2018

#768 - Ron Cey


What a card: Ron Cey provided notable power for the NL East champion Cubs in 1984, but his batting average dipped to a career-low .240.

My observation on the front: A Cubs uniform. Psssh.

More opinion from me: This might be the most depressing Ron Cey card. After two years of Ron Cey Cubs cards, I had to accept that he was not coming back to the Dodgers. I'd also like to point out that as soon as Cey started appearing on Cubs cards, Topps stopped giving him hero numbers (card numbers ending in '5' or '0').

Something you might know: "The Penguin" was a consistent All-Star for the Dodgers and a key contributor to the Dodgers' World Series title in 1981. Also, he is the favorite player of the guy who writes this blog.

Something you might not know: Cey received his penguin nickname from his college coach, Bobo Brayton, at Washington State.


My observation on the back: That's a lot of good information in the bio write-up. I'm proud to say I knew all of it already, and I own his recordings on good old-fashioned vinyl.

The blog wants to speak now: The Pop Culture tab is updated.

1 comment:

steelehere said...

I was surprised that Dan Cey decided to retire so early. He had a great year as a 23 year old in AAA for the Minnesota Twins and then he hung up his cleats eight games into the next season.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=cey---001dan

Here's a link to an old LA Times article where he said baseball wasn't fun for him.

http://articles.latimes.com/2000/may/04/sports/sp-26638