Monday, November 20, 2017

#726 - Al Bumbry


What a card: This is Al Bumbry's final Topps card as a Baltimore Oriole. He signed with the Padres in March 1985.

My observation on the front: You have to love the batting cage shots, but it sure seems cold there.

More opinion from me: Bumbry is one of those players that syncs up perfectly with my first collecting period. His first solo card is in the 1974 Topps set, the first cards I ever owned, and his last card is in 1986, when I gave up active collecting.

Something you might know: Bumbry was the American League's Rookie of the Year in 1973 after hitting .337 in 356 at-bats.

Something you might not know: Bumbry is one of 21 people to hold the AL record for most triples in a game with three. The players to match that mark since Bumbry are Ken Landreaux, Lance Johnson and Denard Span (the NL record is also three and the most recent entrant was Yasiel Puig in 2014).


My observation on the back: I'm not certain but I think the only Vietnam vet to last longer in major league baseball than Al Bumbry is Garry Maddox.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

No comments: