Wednesday, November 8, 2017

#722 - Bruce Sutter All-Star


What a card: Bruce Sutter finished a league-high 63 games in 1984.

My observation on the front: Sutter is obviously on the road, judging by his beautiful '80s baby blue uniform. San Francisco I'm guessing?

More opinion from me: I just looked at Sutter's baseball-reference page and mentally rolled my eyes at the mug shot of Sutter in a Braves hat. I'm no Cubs or Cardinals fan, but get a picture of Sutter when he did his finest work, please.

All-Star Game performance: Sutter was selected as a National League pitcher for the 1984 All-Star Game, but when the time came to close out the NL's 3-1 victory, Rich Gossage got the job of finishing out the ninth. Sutter didn't play.

Legitimate All-Star card or fake All-Star card: Fake. My first tip-off that Topps was going off book with the All-Star cards came in 1981 when Sutter and Gossage received All-Star banners, previously reserved for just ASG starters. Obviously, relievers weren't starters.


My observation on the back: It's interesting that Clay Carroll held the record for so long as I barely heard of him while learning about baseball from 1975-85. That's possibly because save number didn't seem to get much attention until the '80s.

The blog wants to speak now: The Pop Culture tab is updated.

No comments: