Friday, October 23, 2015

#466 - Tony LaRussa


What a card: Tony LaRussa's White Sox finished below .500 in 1984 for the first time since LaRussa's first full season managing the team in 1980. But they'd bounce back in 1985, going 85-77.

My observation on the front: I guess LaRussa is giving us the official "manager look" on this card.

More opinion from me: As you may know, I'm not much of a fan of LaRussa, regarding his strategies, his demeanor, his attitude and a couple other things. I didn't really enjoy how he acted when I interviewed him either. But I can't argue with his success or the fact that he agreed to talk to me for 15 minutes or so.

Something you might know: LaRussa won three World Series titles and is third all-time in career managing victories.

Something you might not know: LaRussa's two daughters by a previous marriage sued him for $16 million in the mid-1990s for emotional distress for not being publicly recognized as LaRussa's children. The suit was dismissed and the sisters admitted years later that it wasn't the right way to deal with the situation, calling it a "plea for acknowledgement."


My observation on the back: This is the first time that Topps officially mentions that the White Sox won the AL West under LaRussa in 1983.

The blog wants to speak now: The Ballgames category is updated.

No comments: