Monday, November 12, 2012

#113 - Tom Herr


What a card: Tom Herr was a steady performer on the runnin' Redbirds and about to embark on the best season of his career in 1985.

My observation on the front: I love "bats in mid-air" photos. If I was one of those collectors who collected cards of "players doing something," I think it would be "bats in mid-air" cards. In fact, I think this is a future post on my other blog.

More opinion from me: A lot of golf-type caps in the crowd. Makes me think it's spring training. And the kid in knee socks needs to learn how to sit right.

Something you might know: Herr is the last National Leaguer to drive in more than 100 runs while hitting less than 10 home runs in a season. It happened in 1985, when he finished fifth in the MVP voting.

Something you might not know: After his career, Herr opened a sports memorabilia shop in the Philadelphia area. But it didn't last long and he went into managing, both in pro and independent leagues.


My observation on the back: What's it like to have your birthdate posted on a baseball card for everyone to see? Aaron Herr went on to play pro ball, making it all the way to Triple A in the Reds organization.

The blog wants to speak now: The Ballgames, News and Pop Culture categories have been updated. I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog, too.

1 comment:

jacobmrley said...

I had an irrational hatred of Tom Herr when I was a kid. I used to tear up his cards when I pulled them from packs. Imagine how terrible it was when he was traded to the Mets in the early 90's. Tom Herr could rescue my family from a burning building and I'd still dislike him. Some players are just like that.