Wednesday, September 26, 2012

#97 - Pete Filson


What a card: Pete Filson was coming off the most successful season of his major league career when this card arrived. In 1984, he pitched in 55 games with a 4.10 earned-run average.

My observation on the front: It's possible that this photo is from the same game as his Topps card from 1984. The photos look similar, but I'm not sure.

More opinion from me: Have the Twins ever worn throwback baby blue road uniforms in a game recently? The practice has been quite popular with teams like the Royals and Blue Jays. But I don't remember it with the Twins. Not that I'm following the Twins.

Something you might know: Filson was considered the prize player in a deal between the Yankees and the Twins in which the Yankees landed Roger Erickson and Butch Wynegar. The Twins received Filson, Larry Milbourne and John Pacella. That didn't work out so hot for them.

Something you might not know: Wikipedia claims that Filson can be seen throwing a pitch while playing for the Kansas City Royals in the Ken Burns documentary "Baseball." It says it happens at the beginning of the "Extra Innings" segment. I don't know what the "Extra Innings" segment is. There are "Tenth Inning, Part 1" and "Tenth Inning, Part 2" segments. I just watched the beginnings of both and didn't see any Royal, let alone Pete Filson. Either I'm missing something or it ain't true.


My observation on the back: Filson put up some low ERAs his first few years in the minors. But that all ended when he was called up to the bigs.

The blog wants to speak now: The tabs are working again. I updated the Other Cards tab with a set that was found mostly in a foreign land.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

I remember the Twins wearing baby blue throwbacks in a 2004ish game against the Orioles. I seem to recall a few players being photographed in action for the 2005 Topps set.

Brandon said...

I think you are right about the photo being from the same game as his '84 card. In the background of both cards the same empty seats can be seen with a blurry person in red in the same position relative to the empty seats.