Wednesday, August 30, 2017

#697 - Onix Concepcion


What a card: Onix Concepcion was coming off what would be his most productive season in the majors when this card was issued. He batted .282 in 90 games in 1984. He received much more playing time in '85 but batted a mere .204.

My observation the front: Too many issues with this card. Printing flaws all over and the card is off-center and slightly miscut.

More opinion from me: I remember the first time I was aware of Onix Concepcion. It was during the 1980 World Series and Concepcion was inserted as a late-inning defensive replacement for the Royals against the Phillies. "Onix Concepcion?" I wondered. "Davey has a little brother?" Turns out they're not related.

Something you might know: Concepcion scored the game-tying run in the ninth inning of the famed Game 6 of the 1985 World Series. On base as a pinch-runner for Steve Balboni, who had singled after Jorge Orta reached on the blown call by umpire Don Denkinger, he knotted the game 1-1 on Dane Iorg's base hit, just before Jim Sundberg slid in for the second run to give the Royals the 2-1 victory.

Something you might not know: Concepcion hit the first pitch that the Royals saw in the 1984 season for a home run. It came against the Yankees' Ron Guidry on April 3 and led to a 4-2 KC victory.


My observation on the back: I don't really consider watching movies a hobby (or watching TV, for that matter). But I suppose there are people that don't think card collecting is much of a hobby.

The blog wants to speak now: The Movies category is updated.

No comments: