Friday, August 18, 2017

#693 - Tim Stoddard


What a card: Tim Stoddard had completed his one and only season with the Cubs when this card was issued. He would sign in the offseason with the team that beat Chicago in the NLCS in 1984, the Padres.

My observation on the front: I don't know what's going on with Stoddard here. He looks all red-faced and worn out like he just ran laps in that jacket.

More opinion from me: My guess is the first very tall pitcher I knew was J.R. Richard. But Stoddard had to be not far after that. His height was very impressive in the '79 World Series.

Something you might know: Stoddard was the Orioles' closer in 1980 after Don Stanhouse signed with the Dodgers. Stoddard saved 26 games that season.

Something you might not know: Stoddard played a part in the end of UCLA's seven straight NCAA basketball championships. He and his North Carolina State teammates beat UCLA in the Final Four in 1974 and Stoddard was one of the key defenders on UCLA star Bill Walton.


My observation on the back: Tough question there.

The blog wants to speak now: The Pop Culture tab is updated.

3 comments:

Rob said...

This is one of the weirdest cards in the set.

Mark Hoyle said...

I remember watching that NC State vs Ucla game.

Commishbob said...

I'm the proud owner of a Tim Stoddard game worn jersey from the '82 season. I like to imagine it's the same one on his '83 cards.