Monday, April 10, 2017

#648 - Bob Jones


What a card: Bob Jones appeared in 64 games for the Rangers, his most major league playing time since he was with the Angels in 1976.

My observation on the front: Jones appears to be getting ready for his coaching career here.

More opinion from me: This card blew me away when I first saw it. There were very few players to appear on baseball cards who I had never heard of during the first half of the 1980s. He was one of them. And with the very generic sounding name of "Bob Jones" I half suspected Topps was putting me on.

Something you might know: Jones recently retired as the bench coach for the Rangers, participating in his last game in October 2016, his 50th and final season in major league ball.

Something you might not know: Jones has won more games as a minor league manager for the Rangers than anyone else.


My observation on the back: Jones led a howitzer group in Vietnam and is deaf in his right ear as a result.

The blog wants to speak now: The Pop Culture tab is updated.

1 comment:

John Bateman said...

There was a Bobby Jones NBA players and Bobby Jones NFL WR in the early 1980s