Friday, October 28, 2016

#591 - Larry Herndon


What a card: Larry Herndon fell off from his career-best period of 1982 and 1983 by struggling at the start of 1984 and appearing in just 125 games. His postseason, though, would make up for it.

My observation on the front: Herndon appears to be waiting his turn on-deck.

More opinion from me: As a fan of the baseball bat donut, I've never known the name for this kind of batting weight. I'm guessing it's the precursor to the "batting wrap," but I don't know if that's what it was called then.

Something you might know: Herndon hit a two-run home run in Game 1 of the 1984 World Series, eliminating a Padres' 2-1 lead and giving Jack Morris the advantage he needed to put away San Diego. Herndon also caught the last out of the World Series on a fly ball from Tony Gwynn.

Something you might know: Herndon was a minor league roommate of Cardinals prospect Randy Poffo, who went on to become popular 1980s wrestler Macho Man Randy Savage.


 My observation on the back: "Sunflower" is one of those great town names in Mississippi (it's not far from "Money," "Rising Sun," and "Longshot"). But Herndon grew up mostly in Memphis, Tenn.

The blog wants to speak now: The Other Cards tab is updated.

1 comment:

Rob said...

I've said it before but you just can't top the Tiger cards in this set. They're majestic. That Tiger Stadium light and shade effect is so specific - I'm glad I got to see a few games there as a teenager.