Friday, August 12, 2016

#564 - Alan Ashby


What a card: Alan Ashby was in the middle of a period of diminished playing time when this card was issued. He appeared in just 66 games in 1984 and 65 in 1985.

My observation on the front: Ashby's pants seem to be hitched too high.

More opinion from me: I remember being fascinated with Ashby when he was with the Blue Jays in the organization's first year. Ashby and Rick Cerone split time behind the plate for Toronto in 1977 and I thought both of them were great. The idea of catchers platooning was totally new to me.

Something you might know: Ashby was the starting catcher for the Astros' playoff teams in 1980 and 1986. He caught Nolan Ryan's record-breaking fifth no-hitter in 1981.

Something you might not know: Ashby became a switch-hitter as a youngster, imitating the infield of his favorite team, the Dodgers. All four starting infielders on that team were switch-hitters, and Ashby thought "that's what you had to do."


My observation on the back: Maddox was two years ahead of Ashby at San Pedro High School.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

No comments: