Tuesday, February 24, 2015

#383 - Rick Lysander


What a card: This is the middle card of Rick Lysander's three-card stint with Topps in the mid-1980s. He debuted in the 1984 Topps set and closed things out in the 1986 Topps set.

My observation the front: That is some kind of close-up shot, and some kind of mustache.

More opinion from me: I can't tell you how long it took me to figure out the Twins' "Win Twins" logo. I like it, but there's a lot going on in that thing.

Something you might know: Lysander toiled for eight years in the Oakland A's minor league organization, before getting a shot with Minnesota. In his rookie season in 1983, he appeared in 61 games, which was tied for seventh most in the American League that year.

Something you might not know: Lysander was one of the Padres' replacement players during the MLB players' strike in the spring of 1995.


My observation on the back: Look at all those city names. I particularly enjoy how he went from Vancouver to Jersey City to Ogden in the span of about a year-and-a-half.

The blog wants to speak now: The Other Cards category is updated.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

He spent a year in the Astros' chain in 1982 also.

Anonymous said...

This used to drive me crazy when MLB cups of coffee were buried among 20 minor-league cities.
At least on today's Topps cards, the WAR stat makes sorting out MLB from MiLB easier since it's only acknowledged in MLB seasons. That's about the only use I have for WAR. Bring back K's!