Friday, February 20, 2015

#382 - Denny Walling


What a card: Denny Walling was used in 1984 as he was the previous six seasons for the Astros, as a platoon outfielder/corner infielder and pinch-hitter against right-handed pitching.

My observation on the front: I'll never understand the "staring off camera" pose, but I do like the palm tree.

More opinion from me: How many times do you think he got called "Danny" during his career? Thousands?

Something you might know: Walling's ability to pinch-hit was one of the best in big league history. He's currently tied for 13th all-time with 108 career pinch hits. When he retired, he was in the top 10.

Something you might not know: In Mike Scott's 2-0 no-hitter against the Giants that clinched the NL West pennant for the Astros in 1986, Walling scored both runs.


My observation on the back: Two straight card backs with black blotches. I guess I won't be selling this set for millions.

The blog wants to speak now: The Ballgames category is updated once again.

No comments: