Friday, December 19, 2014

#361 - Alfredo Griffin


What a card: After appearing in all 162 games in back-to-back seasons for the Blue Jays, Griffin managed just 140 games in 1984.

My observation on the front: Griffin looks reflective in what is a very nice shot. A lot of the '85 Topps cards are closely cropped and you can't see much behind the featured player. This is much better.

More opinion from me: I'm still not over Griffin's terrible 1990 season for the Dodgers (his 1988 season was lousy, too, but at least he had an excuse -- Dwight Gooden hit him in the hand with a pitch).

Something you might know: Griffin shared the American League Rookie of the Year honor with the Twins' John Castino in 1979. It's the only time in the AL that the award has been shared.

Something you might not know: Griffin had possibly the worst swing for strike three in baseball history. Yeah, I know a lot of baseball has been played, but look at this thing.


My observation on the back: Take a glance at Griffin's walk total for the 1984 season. That's not a typo. He walked four times in 140 games.

The blog wants to speak now: The TV category is updated.

2 comments:

MoltenLava said...

The trivia quiz is not a question. The sentence should be preceded by the word "Who".

jacobmrley said...

That strike out. I just, wow. I know he was a "free swinger" but he seems to have decided he was swinging at the pitches no matter what. I am lost.