Tuesday, December 2, 2014

#355 - Bert Blyleven


What a card: This card arrived immediately after a career resurgence for Bert Blyleven. He won 19 games in 1984 and pretty much had his best numbers since his days with the Twins in the mid-1970s.

My observation on the front: Tiger Stadium? I said I'd stop guessing stadiums, but sometimes I get curious.

More opinion from me: This is the third time I've addressed a Blyleven card on a set blog. I'm running out of things to say.

Something you might know: Elected to the Hall of Fame in 2011, Blyleven fell 13 wins short of 300 for his career and helped the Pirates to the World Series title in 1979.

Something you might not know: Blyleven had a reputation for giving up the gopher ball, based primarily on setting a still-standing record of 50 home runs allowed in 1986 and then following that up with 46 in 1987. But in the 20 other years he was in the majors, he never gave up more than 24 homers in a season.


My observation on the back: Topps couldn't write that Blyleven was the only active major leaguer from Holland in its 1980 and 1981 sets because the Red Sox's Win Remmerswaal was in the majors.

The blog wants to speak now: The Ballgames category is updated.

1 comment:

jacobmrley said...

+1 for the Win Remmerswaal reference.