Monday, March 3, 2014

#268 - Chuck Tanner


What a card: For the first time since Chuck Tanner took over the Pirates in 1977, the Pirates finished dead last in the NL East in 1984. They would finish last in 1985, too, and that would be it for Tanner.

My observation on the front: Tanner is striking the traditional "skipper surveying the field of play" pose. I like it.

More opinion from me: The guy on the bench with what appears to be glasses is distracting me. Is it Kent Tekulve?

Something you might know: Tanner was the manager for the 1979 "We Are Family" World Series-winning Pirates. It would be Tanner's only Series victory and his only pennant as a manager.

Something you might not know: Tanner is one of only two people born on the 4th of July to manage in the major leagues since 1900. The other is former Astros manager Hal Lanier.


My observation on the back: As a youngster, it always made me sad when I looked at the back of manager cards and saw "batted" and "threw".

The blog wants to speak now: The Ballgames category is updated.

No comments: