Tuesday, December 31, 2013

#247 - Wayne Tolleson


What a card: Wayne Tolleson was entering his final season with the Rangers as the 1985 season arrived. He hit just .213 in 116 games for Texas in 1984, but would hit 100 points better in '85.

My observation on the front: Tolleson appears to have checked his swing in time. "Didn't break his wrists," as the ex-ballplayer announcers say.

More opinion from me: Tolleson has that look that basically existed only in the 1980s. Large lenses and a mustache.

Something you might know: Tolleson was a good-field, no-hit infielder for the Rangers, Yankees and briefly with the White Sox. He was involved in a bench-clearing brawl with the Angels' Bobby Grich in 1983 when Grich didn't like the way Tolleson went back to second base on a pick-off attempt.

Something you might not know: As you'll see on the card back, Tolleson led all NCAA Division I schools in pass receptions while playing for Western Carolina in 1977. He caught 73 passes for 1,101 yards. But did you know he was also 6-for-6 in field goal attempts?


My observation on the back: I like that trivia question. I imagine the record is still standing.

The blog wants to speak now: The News category is updated.

2 comments:

Play at the Plate said...

Big glasses and mustaches. Sounds like the name of a country song.

The Lost Collector said...

I feel like I have 100 cards of him as a Yankee from the mid-80s.