Friday, June 21, 2013

#187 - Mike Walters


What a card: This is the final card issued of Mike Walters during his career. But he had only two. The other was 1984 Topps.

My observation on the front: Check out that finishing pose. I totally remember Walters having some funky delivery that made it look like he was trying to skip rocks. But I can't find any mention of it.

More opinion from me: Someone confirm my memory of his funky delivery!

Something you might know: Walters came to the Twins, along with Tom Brunansky, in a trade with the Angels that sent reliever Doug Corbett and infielder Rob Wilfong to California. The trade at the time was ridiculed in Minnesota as Corbett was a recently successful reliever and Brunansky an unknown. But it turns out the Twins knew what they were doing.

Something you might not know: Walters' first game in the majors was in a mop-up roll after Frank Viola got lit up by the Indians on July 8, 1983. Viola surrendered 10 hits and 9 runs (only three earned) in 3 1/3 innings. But Walters came in, pitched four innings and allowed only two hits and no runs.


My observation on the back: Among the five times that Walters was drafted, two of those times were by the Dodgers. Walters didn't sign either time.

The blog wants to speak now: Even more Live Aid. The Music category is updated with every song played at the Philadelphia portion of Live Aid. Add both concerts together and you get 152 songs (I'll try to rearrange the lists into something more manageable when I get the time).

1 comment:

Matt Runyon said...

I remember watching Live Aid and recording certain parts of it. I forgot that Black Sabbath played so early.