Tuesday, June 11, 2013

#184 - Carmen Castillo


What a card: This is Carmen Castillo's rookie card. He played in 70 games for the Indians over the 1982 and 1983 seasons, but didn't get a card.

My observation on the front: This is a nice photo. Castillo is appearing to have a good time in front of a chain-link fence.

More opinion from me: He looks like a bruiser.

Something you might know: Castillo is referred to today as "Carmelo Castillo," but Topps mentioned him almost exclusively as "Carmen Castillo" during his six years on baseball cards (only his 1990 Topps Traded card lists his name as "Carmelo"). The other card companies also listed him as "Carmen" for the most part, although 1986 Fleer listed him as "Carmello," with two Ls. For the record, Castillo's full name is Monte Carmelo Castillo.

Something you might not know: In 1987, Castillo hit .302 in night games and .141 in day games. That was the biggest difference in the American League that year.


My observation on the front: I've heard so much about San Pedro de Macoris during my life that I didn't even know there was a San Francisco de Macoris. I thought Topps made an error. The two cities are about 100 miles apart in the Dominican Republic.

The blog wants to speak now: The Pop Culture category is updated with a modest little event called "Live Aid."

No comments: