Friday, June 7, 2013

#183 - Larry McWilliams


What a card: Larry McWilliams was still enjoying life as a Pirate at the time this card came out, winning in double figures for a second straight year after his trade from the Braves.

My observation on the front: An excellent look at McWilliams' whip-like pitching delivery.

More opinion from me: I don't know how pitchers throw like that. If I was out there, I'd probably forget and start throwing overhand.

Something you might know: McWilliams was the winning pitcher for the Braves in the game in which Pete Rose's 44-game hitting streak ended.

Something you might not know: When McWilliams played in Pittsburgh, he worked with Family House, an organization that helps people with serious illnesses. He befriended a 17-year-old girl who was from his hometown in Fort Worth, Texas, and needed the third-ever liver/heart transplant. Unfortunately, the girl died after surgery.


My observation on the back: A trivia question for the geography challenged?

The blog wants to speak now: A brief update to the News category (and President Reagan's colon).

1 comment:

petethan said...

I remember from seeing his pictures on baseball cards that I always wanted to see him pitch, to see what exactly was going on with that lead leg. I don't think I ever got to see the McWilliams magic happen, though.