Friday, June 22, 2012

#66 - Dick Williams


What a card: This the third of four cards that feature Dick Williams as the Padres' manager. 1985 would be his final year with the Padres though.

My observation on the front: That is Steve Garvey in the background.

More opinion from me: I believe this is the only card of Williams in which he's rocking the neck jewelry. In some ways it makes the notorious hard-line, hard-ass manager look even more capable of busting heads.

Something you might know: Williams managed six different major league teams, and is one of only seven managers to win pennants in both the American and National leagues.

Something you might not know: Prior to his first season as the Red Sox manager in 1967, Williams appeared on the original Hollywood Squares. He became the game show's first grand champion, winning $2,500, a motorcycle, a stereo, a movie camera, a silver fox cape, and trips to Paris and Las Vegas.


My observation on the back: I'm noticing the players' uniform numbers for the first time on these checklists. They're kind of haphazardly placed there.

The blog wants to speak now: The Ballgames and Pop Culture tabs are updated. A historic upset and a famous magazine hoax.

3 comments:

gcrl said...

Whenever I see Dick Williams I think of his 'maw dicker' phrase. I am ashamed to say that i never noticed the garv lurking in the background. Another card to add to the nefarious 9.
And, as you know, I featured Williams at http://ohmyopc.blogspot.com today.

MoltenLava said...

I always did love him in those Quaker Oats commercials.

Witz said...

When you are young these “old time” managers seem ancient. It’s scary to think in this pic he is the age I am now!