Sunday, June 10, 2012

#61 - Curt Kaufman


What a card: This is the only Topps card issued of Curt Kaufman. He also received a Donruss and Fleer card in 1985, but that was it as far as major card brands go.

My observation on the front: This is the most off-center, drastically miscut card in my '85 set. I remember pulling it out of the complete set that I bought and being disgusted by how miscut it was.

More opinion from me: Kaufman didn't distinguish himself as a major league pitcher, so my lasting thought of him is his off-center card. I suppose I should find a replacement for it so I'm not burdening him with this anymore.

Something you might know: Kaufman started out in the Yankees organization and was traded to the Angels in exchange for shortstop Tim Foli.

Something you might not know: Kaufman led the International League in saves in 1983 with 25, which was a league record. The International League record is now 43, set by another former Yankees farmhand, Jonathan Albaladejo in 2010.


My observation on the back: That is Kaufman's entire major league career on the back of this card. He would play in the Angels' minor league system in 1985 and the Orioles' minor league system in 1987, but elbow surgery contributed to the demise of his career.

The blog wants to speak now: The Music, Pop Culture and News tabs are updated.

1 comment:

MoltenLava said...

Wow, I thought I knew the early 80's Angels players really well. But I've never heard of this guy.