Friday, April 12, 2019

#118T - Tom Tellmann


What a card: Tom Tellmann was signed as a free agent by the Oakland A's on April 11, 1985, two weeks after being released by the Brewers.

How'd that go: Tellmann's MLB career ended in 1985 with just 11 games pitched for Oakland and a 5.06 ERA. In fact, I'm a bit surprised Topps made a Traded card of Tellmann as he didn't have an appearance for the A's in '85 beyond June 2.


Backatya: Fernando Valenzuela tied the rookie shutout record set by Ewell Russell of the 1913 Chicago White Sox. Valenzuela's feat is all the more amazing considering he accomplished it during a strike-shortened season.


Back-to-back: You be the judge: Tellmann's Traded card is better because that hairstyle is best viewed at a distance or Tellmann's flagship card is better because of the mustache significance.

The flagship card is No. 112 in the set and was originally blogged on Nov. 8, 2012.

The blog wants to speak now: How about that? The last post I didn't know when I'd get back to this blog and now I post on the regular pattern! I don't know if I'll keep this up though. We'll see.

Also on the good side, I caught my spelling mistakes on Tellmann's name on the original post.

1 comment:

Brett Alan said...

Boy, 8 shutouts by a rookie should be on the list of unbreakable records the way the game is now. Last year there were no pitchers with more than one shutout in all of MLB.